Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream: The Original Romantic Comedy?

Tonight our outdoor performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream was cancelled due to high winds:(  But I started thinking- could Midsummer have been one of the first true romantic comedies?  As far as theatre history goes, you've got the Greeks and Romans (who had comedies but not necessarily romantic ones), then you have the Middle Ages with their Miracle and Mystery plays and then Shakespeare and his contemporaries.  And while I'm positive there are many plays in between that we have never heard of, that's about it for ancient theatre in the known world.  (I do also add the disclaimer that my knowledge of older theatre in the non-European world is sorely lacking.)

 Michelle Pfeiffer and Kevin Kline in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

But Midsummer has all the elements of a Renaissance romantic romp: mistaken identities, love triangles, beautiful and funny roles for both men and women (can't you just see the trailer?  In a world where fairies roam...)  Below are pictures from some of my favorite romantic comedies.  What are yours?

Pride and Prejudice 

You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love this movie:)

You've Got Mail

This is my favorite movie to watch when I'm not feeling well...maybe I just hope Tom Hanks will show up with daisies, haha.  (Plus, Meg Ryan's character loves Pride and Prejudice!)

Practical Magic

My sister and I have spent hours dreaming of living together in the house where Gillian and Sally live.  There's a little witch in every woman:)


Sleepless in Seattle

Ok, so maybe I'm a sucker for Tom-Hanks-Meg-Ryan match ups.  Guilty as charged.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Maybe this isn't a RomCom in the traditional sense, but that's part of what gives Marshall it's charm.  This one surprised me, and I totally fell for it.

When Harry Met Sally

The RomCom that created RomComs as we know them.  (They made a stage version?!)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The list just isn't complete without the Monroe-Russell musical.

PS: This article by Mindy Kaling about romantic comedies (featured on A Cup of Jo)is absolutely hilarious.  Enjoy!

1. The Shakespeare Code  2. The MGM Lion  3. The Jane Austen Book Club  
4. I'm an Invisible Disaster  5. Heidi Claire  6. The Hitlist  7. Bullz-Eye  
8. In 10 Words  9. Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment